Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Forget-Me-Not: A Birthday Gift!

Today is my birthday, and, as has been the custom over the past couple of years, I’m offering a free elementary piece for you to download and enjoy. Forget-Me-Not was written a few years ago, and then re-written in 2021; it’s often the case that I ‘revisit’ pieces at a later date and alter them slightly.

The Forget-Me-Not is a traditional flower which proffers interesting symbolism. It apparently indicates remembrance, true and eternal love, and devotion. During the reign of King Henry IV, this delicate, graceful flower, with its blue hue, came to symbolize royalty and endurance, and he adopted it as his formal emblem in 1398. The Forget-Me-Not is also the State Flower of Alaska.

For me, this flower embodies a slight sadness, perhaps it feels as though someone or something is leaving; I’m reminded of that wonderful Aria in the opera Dido and Aeneas (by Henry Purcell), When I am Laid In Earth.

My piece, which is a fairly simple melody with a two-note chord accompaniment (it’s probably around Grade 2 level), certainly feels melancholic and would be best played with very smooth legato phrasing and plenty of sustaining pedal. I hope you enjoy it.

You can download the score, here:

Forget-Me-Not by Melanie Spanswick

And you can hear the audio file, here:

Image: Andrei Lavrinov


My publications:

For much more information about how to practice piano repertoire, take a look at my piano course, Play it again: PIANO (published by Schott Music). Covering a huge array of styles and genres, the course features a large collection of progressive, graded piano repertoire from approximately Grade 1 to advanced diploma level, with copious practice tips for every piece. A convenient and beneficial course for students of any age, with or without a teacher, and it can also be used alongside piano examination syllabuses too.

You can find out more about my other piano publications and compositions here.



from Melanie Spanswick https://melaniespanswick.com/2022/05/31/forget-me-not-a-birthday-gift/

No comments:

Post a Comment